logo

organ

The organ at Christ Church was installed in May 1899 by Henry Pilcher's Sons of Louisville, Kentucky.

The mechanical tracker organ was restored in 2001 using parts from Germany and Great Britain.

It is one of three original Pilcher organs still performing in Holly Springs churches each Sunday.

The first organ at Christ Church was destroyed by Federal troops who occupied Holly Springs during the Civil War.

History of Christ Church

catholicIn 1841, a small frame church building was erected facing south at the corner of what is now Van Dorn Avenue and Randolph Street. In 1858, the congregation decided to enlarge its church building and sold the little frame church to the Roman Catholic congregation which moved it down the street, turned it around, and positioned it facing East College Avenue. That originall church is still standing and has been restored through a great public effort as the Yellow Fever Martyrs Museum.

Christ Church was built as one large room with a porch for a little under $9,000.00. German architects were in charge of the project which is why there is an Alpine flavor through the fretwork on the beams. It was consecrated in October of 1858. There was no center aisle. The pews extended across the room from front to back. The windows were originally clear glass. The heavy spires on the roof have a Nordic character.

In the 1890s, the chancel was built and the apse pushed up and back. The pews were cut in half providing for the wide center aisle. The large window over the altar was installed in 1913 in memory of the grandparents of Edward Hull "Boss" Crump of Memphis at a cost of a little under $350.00 by the Frei Company of St. Louis, Missouri.

The present organ is actually the third organ. It was installed during the first week of May in 1899 by Henry Pilcher and Sons of Louisville, Kentucky and is a tracker (completely mechanical) organ. The first organ was destroyed by Federal troops in the occupation of Holly Springs during the Civil War. The church was used as a stable for their horses. The altar was turned upside down and used as a trough. The Pilcher was totally and authentically restored in the spring of 2001 using parts from Germany and Great Britain.

The beautiful stained glass windows were installed as memorials the thirty or so communicants who perished in the Yellow Fever Epidemice of 1878. An appraisal done in the late 1950s valued them all about the same except for the third window back from the front on the south side of the church which was valued at $50,000.00.

The Rev. Dr. Joseph Holt Ingraham, author of "Prince of the House of David" and other popular religious novels of the day, was Rector of Christ Church from 1858 to 1860. Tragically, he died from an accidental gunshot wound received in the sacristy on December 10, 1858. Though the wound was not immediately mortal, he died of infection eight days later. The church was decorated in black crepe that Christmas. The Rev. J. T. Pickett succeeded Dr. Ingraham as rector and lead the parish through the difficult years of the Civil War and the Yellow Fever Epidemic.

Christ Church completed a major renovation in 1994. Parishioners of Christ Church have enjoyed a glorious history in Holly Springs. The congregation is comprised of a wide diversity of people and is very active in the community at large and the Diocese.